newfoundland and labrador

The Newfoundland Coat of Arms was originally granted on January 1, 1637 to a private company. It was not until 1928 that it was rediscovered and officially reintroduced. The arms consist of a red shield bearing a silver cross with lions and unicorns in the quarters. The supporters holding the shield are European interpretations of Newfoundland’s native Beothuk people. An elk, meant to represent Newfoundland’s caribou herds, stands above the shield. The Latin motto translates “Seek ye first the kingdom of God” and is found in the New Testament, Matthew 7:23