The arms of the Canton of Zug are derived from the arms of the city, hence both are dealt with on this page. The only difference is the use of the crown by the city.

The oldest known seals of the city of Zug date from the last quarter of the 13th century and all show the patron saint of the city, St. Michael. The oldest seal in which the arms with the bar are used for the first time dates from around 1319