The Canton Aargau was established by Napoleon in 1803. On April 20, 1803, the ‘civilian’ Ringier proposed the present arms. No explanation was given for the design of the new arms. It was later explained as the river Aare and the three territories which were combined to the new canton; the Berner areas, the county Baden and the Fricktal valley.
The new arms were widely used, but as the position of the stars was not defined, the stars were shown 1:2, 2:1 or 1:1:1. In 1930 the position was finally defined as 2:1