Pennsylvania’s 1776 Constitutional Convention authorized that a state seal should be established. A seal similar to today’s Great Seal began to be used, and in 1790 the General Assembly officially recognized a Great Seal. In 1791, possession of the Great Seal passed from the Supreme Executive Council to the Secretary of the Commonwealth. The central image on the seal is a crest containing a ship under full sail, a plow, and three sheaves of wheat. These symbols represent the importance of commerce, labor, perseverance, and agriculture to the state’s economy. On either side of the crest are a stalk of Indian corn and an olive branch, representing the state’s recognition of it’s past and hopes for the future. Atop the shield an eagle proudly symbolizes the state’s sovereignty. The outer ring of the seal bears the words “Seal of the State of Pennsylvania”.